Researcher Position InclusivePeace
Dr. Thania Paffenholz, Executive Director, Association for Inclusive Peace
Remote work (eligible time zones: CET +/- 3)
We offer an internationally competitive salary and HR package oriented along national
standards and personal situation.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 19 February 2021
InclusivePeace is looking for a peace researcher with a sharp analytical mind who is interested in an exciting alternative to a traditional university academic career, applying high-level research skills to the fast-paced challenge of supporting peace processes worldwide. We are particularly looking for a researcher with ambitions to create change, who knows the peace process literature well, has a flair for developing analytical categories and frameworks and will thrive in a remote working team.
InclusivePeace is an association constituted under Swiss law headquartered in Geneva with a global focus and reach, strong oversight and governance, and a lean, flexible, and decentralised operational structure. Our three main areas of work are: in-country process
support; as a knowledge, reflection, and partnership hub; and policy work. We collaborate with strategic and operational partners engaged in mediation, peacebuilding, human rights, women’s rights and gender mainstreaming, development, and humanitarian action. More information can be found at www.inclusivepeace.org.
Research, writing and coordination
- Take part in the development and adaptation of existing and new analytical frameworks to further InclusivePeace’s knowledge base.
- Develop and author research reports, policy briefs and other documents for publication or dissemination.
- Take part in research projects, in particular coordinate case study authors and manage smaller research projects.
- Represent research findings to relevant policy makers and practitioners with the aim of informing policy and practice.
- Disseminate the results of research at conferences, through peer reviewed channels, the media, and public and closed-door events and meetings.
Data and research knowledge management
- Manage InclusivePeace’s library of qualitative case studies, primary and secondary sources.
- Assist team members with queries related to this data using qualitative research software and other means.
Peace process support
- The researcher will assist with peace process support initiatives.
- Develop and author evidence-based research papers for use in policy and practise of ongoing peace processes.
- Support other InclusivePeace team members who give advice in peace processes with a stand-by research expertise.
- Prepare and deliver evidence-based advice and training to audiences including: civil society, governments, armed groups, international organizations.
- This may include international travel.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications:
- MA in peace and conflict studies or international relations/political science with a focus on peace and conflict studies or a related field.
- Exposure to, and in-depth analytical understanding of, at least one peace process or
high-level political negotiation process.
- Proven exceptional analytical skills.
- Experience and passion in applying and developing analytical frameworks.
- In-depth knowledge of the qualitative peacebuilding and mediation literature.
- Familiarity with qualitative methodologies including: organization and maintenance of data including qualitative software, conduct of interviews, case study analysis, etc.
- Basic knowledge of quantitative analysis.
- Proficiency in English.
- Demonstrated top-level writing skills.
- Experience with translational research – writing of policy and practice-oriented briefing notes.
- Location of remote work: CET +/- 3 hours.
The following qualifications are highly preferred:
- Work experience in or around peace processes or political transitions, ideally with a mediation/peace process support organization or think tank.
- Fluency with quantitative methodologies.
- Proficiency in languages other than English.
- Proficiency in research and analysis related software such as R, SPSS, STATA, NVIVO, ATLAS-ti, any other CCM/QCA software.
What we offer
A comprehensive employee package, including a competitive salary commensurate with experience, good leave policies, and a supportive, collegial, exciting, and human-centred workplace. We are an equal opportunity and inclusive employer and encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply.
Please send your application containing a 1-page cover letter, CV and 2 referees that are ready to provide a strong personal recommendation (email addresses), to firstname.lastname@example.org by 19 February 2021.
PLEASE ONLY SEND AN APPLICATION IF YOU FULFILL ALL OF THE REQUIREMENTS AND ARE ABLE TO WORK IN A TIME ZONE THAT IS WITHIN CET PLUS OR MINUS 3 HOURS. ONLY CANDIDATES WHO SATISFY THE CRITERIA OUTLINED ABOVE WILL BE CONSIDERED.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.