Researcher and Managing Editor
PERIOD OF CONTRACT: Permanent contract
ACTIVITY RATE: 100 %
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS: 30-06-2017
We are looking for a highly motivated and committed Researcher and Managing Editor.
We offer a fast-paced, captivating, and flexible international working environment, where research is closely connected with current affairs and policy issues, in an institution renowned for research excellence, located in the Maison de la Paix (House of Peace) at the heart of International Geneva.
Mission and activities
The Researcher and Managing Editor will coordinate the production process of IPTI’s written output, in particular standardized country case studies and shorter thematic papers; conduct content editing (English); write papers; and contribute to IPTI’s research on peace and transition processes by analyzing existing data as well as adding new data to IPTI’s datasets.
The Researcher and Managing Editor will spend roughly 50% on research, and 50% on coordination and content editing of IPTI’s knowledge products. In particular, the Researcher and Managing Editor is expected to take charge of the following tasks in accordance with the general direction set out for the research team by IPTI’s Director and Research Coordinator:
Coordination and Editing
- Manage the production of IPTI’s written outputs;
- Support the quality control of IPTI’s written outputs;
- Liaise with researchers and experts internally and externally;
- Manage production and review processes in a timely and professional manner;
- Conduct high-level English content and language editing of all of IPTI’s written output, including case study summaries, briefing papers, reports, articles, and research proposals;
- Coordinate external proof editing.
- Contribute to IPTI’s ongoing research, specifically by adding to and analyzing qualitative data from IPTIs datasets on peace and transition processes (including by conducting interviews);
- Write case studies, summaries, and other short publications for IPTI’s web portal;
- Contribute to quality assurance of IPTI’s research output.
We are looking for a researcher and experienced editor with excellent analytical and organizational skills, attention to detail, excellent command of the English language, and an interest in IPTI’s mission of connecting rigorous research in the fields of peacebuilding to the worlds of policy and practice.
The candidate should enjoy a dynamic work environment in international Geneva. He or she ideally fulfils the following requirements:
- Graduated at MA level;
- Several years’ professional experience, ideally in a research setting (university, think tanks, NGO, or similar);
- Experience with content and language editing, ideally for policy audiences and excellent attention to detail;
- Excellent command of the English language (native speaker);
- Experience managing complex processes and liaising with a range of stakeholders, gained ideally in a setting related to international affairs, development, or politics;
- Good communication skills and willingness to work in a multicultural team;
- Flexibility, commitment, and ability to manage deadlines;
- Candidates must have a valid Swiss work permit or EU / Swiss nationality.
What IPTI offers
- A fascinating spectrum of professional experiences in a dynamic and fast-paced start-up environment with access to peace mediation opportunities, from local to high levels;
- The opportunity to shape a range of exciting international activities in support of mediation and peace processes;
- Learn from high quality research, what works and what does not work in peace process support;
- Work within a dynamic team of highly qualified professionals; including a research team that supports policy and practice work;
- Work independently as well as closely with IPTI’s Director as well as the entire research team;
- A stimulating academic and policy environment at the heart of international Geneva located in Maison de la Paix;
For more information, candidates are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that offers received by post won't be considered.